Who doesn’t love a chocolate dessert to finish a special meal?
Well, this recipe will give you chocolate plus a hint of orange, if you want it. (You can omit the orange if you like) It’s an exceptionally light dessert that is naturally gluten free!
The perfect finish to a decadent meal with your special someone, your gal friends or even your kids! So easy and it can be made hours in advance so as not to interfere with time with your loved ones.
The family that cooks together… stays together!
I love to cook with my husband and kids or my friends. It is quality time. When the kids were younger it was teaching them life skills! Recently my 19-year-old daughter asked to have fresh pasta for her nineteenth birthday get together with her friends. She didn’t want me to make it, she wanted to make with her friends! This makes me so happy to see them enjoying the art of cooking and enjoying their fruits of labour! (They made the Online Cooking School Family Favorites Menu: basil pesto & goat’s cheese crostini, fresh fettuccine, meatballs, sausage & tomato sauce, and panna cotta with blueberry compote)
FREE Online Cooking Class
Just in time for Valentine’s Day, we are offering our *most popular menu ever for FREE on our Online Cooking School platform when you purchase another 4-course menu for $45 CAD or $35 USD. There are four other 4-course menus to choose from!
The *Italian Comfort Menu features unlimited views of the professional videos to guide you, along with downloadable recipes, instructions, ingredient lists and more to make: Classic Caprese Salad, Potato Gnocchi, Braised Beef in red wine with wild mushrooms, Roasted root vegetables, and Zabaglione with fruit!
The perfect menu for your loved ones or gal pals on Valentine’s Day, but personally I would substitute the Chocolate, Orange Panna Cotta for dessert … you can make it ahead!
Enjoy the last of these long winter days folks! Spring is coming…. and I can’t wait as I am heading to Puglia in May with our Taste of Puglia, small group tour!
My first tour post-pandemic tour… 2 years is a long time.
Ciao for now, Natalina xo
Chocolate, orange Panna Cotta (naturally gf)
- 1 1/2 cups of milk* whole milk preferred but reduce calories with low fat milk
- 2 envelopes*of unflavoured gelatin or 5 tbsp. loose
- 2 ½ cups heavy cream or 35% cream
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 6 ounces bittersweet or semi-sweet chocolate cut in pieces
- 3 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa
- 1 tbsp. fine orange zest* replace with 1 tsp of vanilla if desired
- butter for the ramekins
- In a small bowl add milk and sprinkle the gelatin on top.
- In a medium saucepan mix ¾ cups of cream with sugar. Simmer until the sugar is dissolved. Add chocolate and cocoa until melted/dissolved. Stir in the remainder of the cream until warm.
- Remove from heat and add the gelatin mixture and orange zest or vanilla. Whisk until smooth.
- Pour the mixture through a fine mesh strainer into a large bowl.
- Butter 6 ramekins lightly. Divide the mixture between the ramekins using a ladle. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 4 hours up to overnight.
- If you wish to unmold, run a knife around the edge and immerse in a warm water bath for a few minutes. Invert on a plate and serve with a little orange zest on top.
- Serves 6