In my part of Canada, nothing says Summer, like firing up the BBQ and grilling back ribs! With a few side dishes and corn on the cob, this is summer on a plate!
This recipe has been adapted from my “Italian marinated flank steak “ recipe, found in my cookbook, Natalina’s Kitchen: Bringing Homemade Back!
Make-ahead tip: You could boil the ribs ahead and then place them in the fridge with the marinade until you are ready to grill and serve.
Ciao for now, Natalina
Italian inspired BBQ back ribs
- 2 racks of back ribs membrane removed (loosen a corner and then pull off)
- 1 onion cut in half
- 1 bay leaf
- A few peppercorns
- ¼ cup of olive oil
- ⅓ cup of balsamic vinegar
- 2 cloves of fresh garlic peeled
- 2 tablespoons of fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon of Italian oregano
- 1 tablespoon of crushed chilies or to taste
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 5 sundried tomatoes roughly chopped
- Pinch salt/pepper
- Cut the ribs into smaller 2-3 rib portions. Fill a large pot with about 3-4inches of water and add the onion, bay leaf, and peppercorns. Stack the ribs in the water, rib side down, overlapping until all the ribs are in the pot. Bring to a boil on high heat. Once it comes to a boil, place the lid on the pot and reduce to medium-high, continuing to boil lightly. Cook the ribs for 2-3 hours, checking the water level occasionally and add more water if necessary.
- Meanwhile, place all the marinade ingredients into a food processor and process until a paste forms and everything is evenly mixed. Taste and adjust seasoning with more salt or pepper as needed. Set aside until the ribs are finished boiling.
- When the ribs are finished boiling, strain the water and place the ribs on a cookie sheet to cool slightly. Slather the marinade on the ribs and let sit at least ½ hour or place in the fridge when cooled, until time to grill.
- Heat a grill to high. Place the ribs on the BBQ and grill until the marinade is caramelized and the ribs have grill marks. Be careful that the sugar doesn’t catch on fire or burn. Do not leave them unattended. Serve with your favorite side dishes!