It is November and although that means the temperature is dropping in my part of the world, it also means the start of Comfort Food Season! There is something about the smell of dinner roasting in the oven that evokes memories of my childhood and the many family meals my large Italian-Canadian family shared at the table.
These days many families are so time-strapped that dinner roasting in the oven is usually saved for weekends! Well, my friends, what if I said you could have a complete dinner on the table… chicken, potatoes, and vegetables in 1 hour, 10 minutes? During the baking time, you could easily prepare a quick salad for a complete meal.
My mother often baked a whole chicken with potatoes and carrots alongside. This is my version with boneless skinless chicken, vegetables, and herbs which makes it a great weeknight dinner in half the time!
I hope you enjoy the recipe… stay tuned for more Family-Friendly recipes in future Blog Posts.
Ciao for now, Natalina
One pan rosemary, chicken & potatoes
- 12 boneless, skinless chicken thighs*
- 1 medium sized onion, quartered
- 6 large carrots, peeled and cut in large coins
- 18 mini potatoes, scrubbed (I leave the skin on)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 tsp salt + more
- 1/2 tsp gr black pepper + more
- 1 cup frozen peas (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Add olive oil to a large roasting pan with a lid. Add chicken pieces and season with salt and pepper. Using your hands, coat the chicken with the oil and seasonings. Add the onion, carrots, bay leaves and rosemary.
- Bake in the preheated oven, with the lid on for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes add the potatoes, toss everything together, replace the lid and place back in the oven for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, remove the lid and mix thoroughly. Add salt and pepper and the peas, if using. Mix thoroughly. Place back in the oven without the lid for the final 20 minutes or until cooked thoroughly, browned and liquid reduced.
- Enjoy this 1 pan dinner that is like an oven baked chicken stew!
- replace boneless, skinless chicken thighs with assorted chicken pieces or chicken breasts, bone-in, cut in half,