It is June 26th and we are 5 days into Summer of 2017. I love summer and all the beautiful, seasonal vegetables that come with it! In my part of the country, when we start seeing local asparagus popping up in the grocery stores, that is a sure sign of Summer! I bought my first bunch this morning. So what does an Italian Mamma do with asparagus?
My favorite frittata at this time of year is full of asparagus, Parmigiano Reggiano DOP, and chunks of prosciutto ham. If you eliminate the ham, it also makes a delicious meatless meal. (recipe follows) Asparagus also finds a place in a delicious asparagus risotto! Naturally gluten free, this can also be a meatless recipe by substituting vegetable stock for the chicken stock. This along with 2 other risotto recipes can be found in my new cookbook…Natalina’s Kitchen: Bringing homemade back!
My favorite asparagus side dish would have to be grilled asparagus that is finished with good quality, extra virgin olive oil, freshly squeezed lemon juice and shavings of Parmigiano Reggiano DOP! Simple, but delicious, this is my idea of seasonal vegetables!
Now that classes are finished for this school year, our busiest ever, I will have more time to cook for my family…I am excited to think of all the beautiful produce that will come from my garden and the market over the next few months! Watch this Blog for inspiration and recipes to see you through the Summer of 2017!
Ciao for now, Natalina
Asparagus & parmigiano fritatta
- 5 large eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/3 cup Parmigiano Reggiano DOP
- 1 pound fresh asparagus
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 4 slices prosciutto cut into pieces
- oil for frying
- Wash and cut asparagus into 1-inch pieces. Set tips aside. Blanche in boiling water for a few minutes adding stems first and tips after 1 minute. Drain and run under cold water.
- Beat eggs in a medium bowl, add cheese, milk, salt, and pepper.
- Heat a non-stick pan and add about 1 tbsp. oil. Once the oil is hot add the prosciutto and render the fat and fry until crispy. Drain most of the fat. Add the asparagus and sauté until heated through. Add the egg mixture and cook until golden on the bottom.
- Either flip over to cook the other side or put under the broiler until fully cooked on the top. (if the handle is not heat proof cover with foil)
- Slide onto a serving plate. Serve at room temperature. Could be served for breakfast/brunch/lunch or in a sandwich.